It’s the new year, new me time. You know what I’m talking about. Everybody screaming that mantra. It is the time of year when everyone is trying to reinvent themselves and set goals that are supposed to create the life they want. However, the problem is that most of the time this is make believe. It is some vision you pulled out of the air based on an assumption of where you believe you should be. Have you taken the time for self-discovery? Who are you today?
If you are creating a new you every year, then who are you? What do you stand for? What is it about you that is so bad that you must reinvent yourself every year? The issue isn’t that there is something wrong with you. It is that you don’t know yourself and the value that you offer the world. I challenge your thinking instead of new year new you, try new year same you, but this year take the time to self-reflect. Self-discovery; Get to know who you are. Learn your strength, Limitations, triggers, energizers, and what brings you joy. The better you know yourself, the better you will understand your value. When you know your value then you will be able to command your space in the world. You will be able to use your identity to build the life you desire and impact others. Self-discovery leads to a strong identity. Below are 4 ways to get to know yourself better.
Self Discovery: 4 Ways to Getting To Know Yourself Better
1) Examine Past Successes
Think of a time when you succeed at something. Consider the process it took for that success.
- What qualities did it require? (determination, persistence, assertiveness, courage)
- What hard skills did it require? (Math, organization, communication, networking)
- What did you do different that other wouldn’t have done? (what was your unique mark)
- What are some previous experiences that you used to achieve this success?
2) Examine Past Failures, Hurts, and Regrets
Think of a time when you failed or struggled.
- Why do you believe you failed?
- If you could do it again what would you do differently and why?
- What were the lessons you learned from this event? (big or small)
- What negative emotions, thought, or feeling do you have in connection to this event
3) Identify Triggers and Energizers
- List things that anger you
- List things that bring you joy
- List things that motivate you (Friend, family, wealth)
- List things that inspire you (Art, music, faith, Oprah)
4) What makes you special? (Your Special Sauce)
- Reflect on personal attributes and qualities about yourself that you admire?
- What are your quirks? (weird laugh, no rhythm)
- What makes you different from other people?
When you take the time to know yourself intimately you begin the process toward unconditional self-acceptance. Your confidence begins to grow. You can then use your identity/ special sauce to your advantage. You can lead with the strength of your identity, instead of hiding and pretending to be something you are not. Arise Beautiful with Empowerment Coach, Angenette Crume helps you to explore and develop a strong identity and sense of self, and give you the confidence and power to walk in your purpose and to have an impact on your family, career, business, and community. Want to be a person of influence and impact? Get to know you better. If you’re interested in more resources on identity, join our mailing list below.